- All clubs must have a constitution.
- The constitution clearly states how the club should operate and the rules that govern it.
- It needs to be adopted at an AGM by the membership and can only be amended at an AGM or EGM.
This is a sample club constitution
The club will be called (CLUB NAME HERE) and will be affiliated to the Athletic Association of Ireland (AAI).
All club members including committee members, coaches and volunteers shall register annually with the Athletic Association of Ireland and will be subject to the rules and regulations of the AAI.
The club shall register club colours with the AAI, which shall confirm with IAAF/AAI rules.
The club shall be in affiliation with its appropriate County Board and Provincial Council of the Athletic Association of Ireland.
2. Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the club will be:
• To participate and compete in the sport of Athletics including track and field, cross country, road running and
• To offer coaching and competitive opportunities in Athletics.
• To promote Athletics within the local community
• To ensure a duty of care to all members of the club.
• To provide all its services in a way that is fair and ethical to everyone.
• To ensure that all present and future members receive fair and equal treatment.
Membership should consist of officers and members of the club.
All members will be subject to the regulations of the constitution and by joining the club will be deemed to accept these regulations and codes of conduct that the club has adopted.
All members will be registered with Athletics Ireland
4. Membership fees
Membership fees will be set annually and agreed by the management committee or determined at the Annual General Meeting. Fees will be paid: annually and /by weekly subscription.
5. Officers of the club
The officers of the club will be:
• Vice Chairperson
• Child Welfare Officer
• Public Relations Officer
Officers will be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.
All officers will retire at the AGM each year but will be eligible to stand for re-election.