‘Preparing to Train – Building Solid Foundations’
Venue - Finn Valley Centre Date - 13th October 2012
Session 1: Time — 10a.m. -1p.m.
Aim – Session 1 is aimed at coaches who work with young athletes aged 13 to 15 and wish to introduce and develop appropriate S&C support programmes. Maximum of 20 coaches
Session 2 Time 2pm-5pm
Aim – Session 2 is aimed at coaches who coach nationally ranked athletes, in the 16 to 18 year old bracket, and who wish to up skill their knowledge and expertise. Maximum of 12 coaches
William Moore, Performance Service Co-ordinator at the University of Ulster’s High Performance Centre in Belfast, will deliver and facilitate both sessions.
He indicates that S&C services can assist with all aspects of conditioning and may include addressing the following areas of physical fitness –endurance, strength, speed, power, agility, balance, flexibility and injury prevention.
He continues ‘All too often we take advanced training programmes and exercises and incorrectly apply them to young athletic populations without building a solid foundation for long term athletic development. Many of our young athletes have issues with mobility, flexibility and muscle activation that have a negative impact upon posture and movement. When we apply these exercises without taking the time to address the root of our athletic problems we create dysfunctional movement patterns that can negatively impact upon athletic performance and potentially contribute towards injury
Sessions 1 and 2
The interactive presentations will cover the following areas:
• Outline the main issues with movement and posture in today’s generation of young athletes
• Utilise some basic movement screens to identify problems with movement
• The use of foam rolling, flexibility and muscle activation exercises to correct posture and movement
• Q & A to round up both sessions.
• Presentation hand outs will be provided on the day.
• Generic programmes will be developed that that can be used by the coaches working with young athletes.
• The required exercise technique of all of the drills will be covered throughout the session.
• A host of scientific coaching articles on the area of “Strength & Conditioning for Young Athletes.” will be provided for each coach
• To equip the coaches with appropriate drills, skills and knowledge that will complement the various stages of the preparation and competitive year
Cost – Session 1 €10; Session 2 €10
Closing Date for applications – 10th October 2012
Enquiries and applications to Eamon Harvey, Regional Development Officer, Athletics Ireland, Drimark, Donegal Town; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone: 0872797548
This event specific ‘Preparing to train - Building solid foundations’ is supported by Donegal Sports Partnership, Donegal Athletics Board and the Ulster Athletics Council