Sample Club Constitution
This club will be called ________________________ Athletic Club
The club will have its headquarters at _______________________________
The club will affiliate annually with the Athletic Association of Ireland or its successor.
All club members including committee members and coaches shall register annually with the Athletic Association of Ireland and will be subject to the rules and regulations of the AAI.
The club will summon an Annual General Meeting, which will be held in January each year.
The club shall maintain adequate financial records, which shall be audited and presented to the registered members at the Annual General Meeting.
The club will submit a copy of their annual report to their respective County Board.
The club shall elect from its members the following officers:
All club officers and committee members shall familiarise themselves with the Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Sport.
The club shall register club colours, which shall confirm with IAAF/AAI rules.
The club shall be in affiliation with its appropriate County Board and Provincial Council of the Athletic Association of Ireland.
The club committee shall meet at least eight times a year, where all decisions and records will be minuted and circulated to all committee members.
The club shall endeavour to promote all facets of athletics.
The club shall endeavour that no member be discriminated against on the basis of age, sex, class or creed.
The club will endeavour to recruit coaches for all disciplines in conformity with the coach education programme.
Roles of some Committee Members
- To provide direction for the club by effective leadership and management
- To chair and control meetings of the management committee
- To act as principal officer within the club, and make decisions whenever the need arises, in consultation with other officers when appropriate
- To represent the club at external meetings when required
- To be involved, where appropriate, in the co-ordination of club activities
- To manage and oversee the work of officers and other club personnel
- To present the club’s annual report, in association with the club secretary
- To present the club’s annual accounts, in association with the club treasurer
- To determine the content and agenda for club meetings, in association with club secretary
- To ensure that club statutory documents and other returns are administered and filed on time
- To advise the treasurer on the use and investment of club funds
- Deal with all financial issues relating to the club
- Reconciliation of bank statements.
- Ensure all expenditure is in accordance with club objectives.
- Provide a monthly summary of financial position to the Committee.
- Assist in the completion of grant applications.
- Prepare annual accounts for review prior to presentation at the AGM
- Administer club correspondence/first point of contact.
- Agree, prepare and distribute agendas for Club Committee and AGM meetings.
- Liaise with chairperson on agenda and meetings.
- Take minutes from meetings and distribute to members.
- Complete and submit annual registrations to AAI (if no Registrar)
- Book training facilities.
- Maintain a register of club members.
Children’s Officer/Child Welfare Officer
Main duties - joint responsibility:
- Ensure that the club has a copy of AAI’s ‘Child Welfare & Protection in Sport’
- Ensure child protection procedures are understood and adhered to by all members.
- Establish and maintain the complaint procedures.
- Attend the Irish Sports Council ‘Child Welfare & Protection in Sport Workshop Protection’ (renewable every three years).
- Be familiar with current child protection legislation.
- Understand the NGB child protection procedures, rules and regulations.
- In the event of a complaint, ensure that the complaints’ procedures are met and followed through to the final decision.
- If unable to attend any executive committee meeting, report/ apologies should be sent to the secretary.