World Race Walk Champion Rob Heffernan (Togher AC) was named as the Athlete of the Year at the National Athletics Awards in 2013.
It was the year when Heffernan quite literally had the Walk of his life. The Cork athlete won an historic gold medal at the IAAF World Track and Field Championships in Moscow in the 50k Race Walk. The inspirational performance meant Heffernan became Ireland’s third ever gold medalist at these prestigious championships along with Eamonn Coghlan (1983) and Sonia O’Sullivan (1995). Heffernan was also awarded the Race Walker of the Year Award for 2013.
2013 Award Winners
- Athlete of the Year: Rob Heffernan
- Endurance Athlete of the Year: Fionnuala Britton (Kilcoole AC)
- Team of the Year: European Cross Country Women's Champions; The team of Linda Byrne (Dundrum South Dublin AC), Ava Hutchinson (Dundrum South Dublin AC), Lizzie Lee (Leevale AC), Sarah Louise Treacy (Moynalvey AC) and Sarah McCormack (Clonliffe Harriers AC) along with Fionnuala Britton.
- Track and Field Athlete of the Year : Mark English (UCD AC).
- Indoor Track and Field Athlete Award Ciaran O’Lionaird (Leevale AC)
- Performance Club of the Year Award: Leevale Athletic Club
- Development Club of the Year: Lifford AC
- Junior Athlete of the Year: Sarah Lavin (Emerald AC)
- Inspirational performance of the year : Kelly Proper (Ferrybank AC)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Ronnie Long
- Outstanding Official Award: Brian Dowling
- Master of the Yea: Geraldine Finegan (Dunleer AC)
- The Mountain Runner of the Year was awarded to the Irish women’s senior team of Sarah McCormack (Clonliffe Harriers AC), Kate Cronin (Raheny Shamrock AC), Sarah Mulligan (Dundrum South Dublin AC) and Sharon Trimble (North Belfast Harriers AC). The team won the bronze medals at the World mountain running championships in Krynica, Poland.
- The Ultra Running Award: Eoin Keith
- The AVIVA Tailteann Schools’ Awards were awarded to Marcus Lawler (CBS Carlow) and Siofra Cleirigh Buttner (Colaiste Iosagain)