- To promote and encourage track and field athletics, including race-walking and cross-country running in Post Primary schools.
- That the Irish Schools's Athletic Association (ISAA) upholds the fundamental principle that the welfare of the child is paramount and that all structures, systems rules and procedures are based on that premise.
- That the ISAA favours an ethical approach to sport and the promotion of good practice and fair play in schools athletics.
The ISAA ensures:
- That all provincial associations abide by its rules.
- That all affiliated schools abide by the rules and regulations of the ISAA.
- That in the selection of staff, both paid and voluntary, proper selection procedures will be put in place.
- That the ISAA abides by the principle that if a complaint is made against a committee member or staff or coach, s/he should stand down while the complaint is being examined.
- That the roles and responsibilities of teachers connected with schools athletics are clearly defined.
- That proper disciplinary, complaints and appeals procedures are in place and adhered to by all.
- And that a register of all teachers involved in schools athletics is kept.