The 2017 European Athletics Congress Convention
The 2017 European Athletics Congress Convention took place in Vilnius, Lithuania, from 12-14 October.
The 26th European Athletics Congress is the general assembly of the Member Federations and the supreme authority of the European Athletic Association. The Congress consists of the Council and delegates of the 50 Member Federations. Each Member Federation in good standing, according to the European Athletics Constitution, has one vote.
The European Athletics Convention is designed to better support our Member Federations, offering opportunities for education, networking and socialising, along with the usual meetings and calendar planning activities.
Athletic Ireland attendees included:
Georgina Drumm: President of Athletics Ireland
John Cronin: AAI Chair of Competition; Member of the IAAF Technical Committee
Moira Aston: Presenting workshop on Childhood Protection
Pierce O’Callaghan: EAA/IAAF Competition Commission. Presenting on European Games Baku 2015
Convention content included:
a) I Run Clean
b) Childhood Protection
c) Data Project
d) Age Group Championships Opportunities
e) EU Funding
2. Calendar Congress
3. Leaders Forum
Member Federations vote unanimously for the general alignment of the European Athletics Constitution with that of the IAAF in the following areas:
- Roles, duties and power
- European Athletic Association (EAA) Court, EAA Code of Ethics, Ethics Board
- Congress proceedings, languages, open vote
- Athletes' Committee
- Term length
- Special majorities
- Editorial and rewording
- A proposal on gender equality on the European Athletics Council is removed pending further discussion on the matter.
- Also removed is a proposal on the "respect and promotion of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Convention on the Rights of the Child and Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities".
- A proposal regarding the implementation of good governance requirements for Member Federations of European Athletics received approval from 46 members with four against.
- A proposal to permanently revoke the honorary membership of Valentin Balakhnichev, the former Russian Athletics Federation President who was given a life ban from the sport in January 2016 was approved unanimously
For more information on the European Athletics Congress Convention click HERE.