- 1857 First recorded athletics meeting of the modern era held at Trinity College, Dublin.
- 1873 Irish Champions Athletics Club established as a means towards putting on national athletics championships. Hard track established at Lansdowne Road.
- 1881 Amateur Athletic Association of Ireland set up but failed. The First Irish Cross County Championship was held in Dunboyne.
- 1884 Gaelic Athletic Association established in Thurles, November 1st 1884.
- 1885 Irish Amateur Athletic Association (IAAA) set up in Dublin, February 21st 1885.
- 1886 Cross County Association of Ireland (CCAI) established. It later became a subsidiary of the IAAA.
- 1896 First modern Olympic Games in Athens.