Middle Distance 800m 1500m
- The athletes in the 800m run the first curve in separate lanes and break after 100m to avoid crowding.
- It's an advantage for an athlete to be drawn in one of the outer lanes as they can choose which position they want to take in the field.
- The 800m is one of the most tactical races, where speed and ability to handle lactic acid are the most important strengths.
- In the 1500m, tenacity and a well-developed sense of strategy are important assets besides speed and endurance.
- The third lap becomes the most critical lap and any error from here on may be hard to rectify.