How to Start a Club
Athletics Ireland can provide all the support and expertise needed to form a new Athletics club.
- Guidance and support from your local Regional Development Officer
- When you set up your club you can avail of three free places on Athletics Leader or Assistant Coaching course
- A bag of Little Athletics equipment will be provided on completion of Athletics Leader course by three members of your club
- The Athletics Ireland Club Mark (link) helps clubs to organise for success and will help you to understand what is required in running an athletics club to make it clubs safer, stronger and more successful.
Steps to Setting up a Club
- A new club needs 10 members, four of whom must be over 21.
- A new club must elect a chairman, secretary, children’s officer, registrar and treasurer.
- A new club must inform the county board of their intention to set up a new club to their county board to receive clearance to form the new club. This can be done by attending the meeting or communicating with officers in advance. The county board will approve the club if there is no conflict with an existing club. Club colours must also be declared to ensure they do not clash with club existing colours.
- A new club’s application should contain a copy of the club constitution
- The county board informs Athletics Ireland in writing that the club application has been approved.
- A new club then applies to Athletics Ireland to become a member.
- A new club’s registration charge with Athletics Ireland is €150 per annum.
- The cost of registering a member is €17 for adults and €12 for under-18s.
- Athletics Ireland will forward a password to the club secretary to allow the new club to register members only