The Responsible Official
As an Athletics Official you are invited to adopt the following principle
- To treat everyone involved in athletics with dignity and respect regardless of their background or sporting ability
- Ensure that the welfare, health and safety of all is the primary consideration in all you do
- Develop appropriate relationships with all athletes based on mutual trust and respect
- Do not exert undue influence in order to obtain personal benefit or reward
- Maintain a clear boundary between friendship and intimacy with athletes
- Avoid critical language or actions, such as sarcasm, that undermine the self esteem of others. Criticise only in a constructive way, only at the appropriate time and directly to the person concerned.
- Respect the dignity of everybody, verbal or physical behaviour that constitutes harassment or abuse is unacceptable.
- Show integrity and professionalism in your dealings with other adults
- Co-operate fully with other colleagues (e.g. Coaches, other Officials, and Team Managers.
- Sport Scientists, Physiotherapists, Doctors, HQ staff) in the best interests of all athletes.
- Encourage and guide athletes to accept and take responsibility for their own behaviour and performance and give them as much autonomy as possible
- Report, using the Incident Report Form, any accidental injur