Code of Conduct for Children and Young Athletes
Sport should be safe, fun and conducted in a spirit of fair play.
As a young person you are entitled to the best possible environment to participate in sport.
You deserve to be given enjoyable, safe sporting opportunities, free from abuse of any kind.
You have rights, which must be respected, and responsibilities that you must accept.
You should always treat other athletes and team leaders with fairness and respect.
You are entitled to:
- Be safe and to feel safe
- Be listened to
- Be believed
- Be treated with dignity, sensitivity, and respect
- Have your voice heard in your sport
- Participate on an equal and non-discriminatory basis
- Have fun and enjoy your sport
- Experience competition at a level at which you are happy
- Make complaints and have them dealt with
- Get help against those who bully
- Say No
- To protect your body
- Privacy and confidentiality
You should always:
- Treat all group or team members and your Sports Leaders with respect
- Act fairly and responsibly at all times, do your best
- Respect other group or team members
- Respect opponents and be gracious in defeat
- Abide by the rules as set out by the group or team you are with
- Support and assist where appropriate with the running of your group
You should never:
- Cheat or seek to gain an unfair advantage
- Intimidate, use violence or physical contact that is not welcome
- Shout at or argue with another person unreasonably
- Cause harm to or damage property
- Bully or threaten another person online or offline
- Take banned substances or consume alcohol or recreational drugs
- Spread or circulate rumours online or offline about another person
- Tell lies
Code sign up:
I have read and accept this code of conduct.
Name & Date:
Parents/Carers Name & Date:
Contact telephone number(s):
Please sign this document and bring with you to your club, group or team and give to your Club Children's Officer or Team Leader. This code was compiled by the National Youth and Junior squad and Athletics Ireland on February 22nd 2017 at Sports HQ, Abbotstown.