- A steady speed is key to the marathon.
- In the first 30km of the 42.195km race, most athletes choose to follow the group and break ahead thereafter.
- Top athletes do not run more than 2-3 marathons a year as running the distance on asphalt is very demanding on the body.
- Training for this event includes running distances of 200km per week but also speed and interval training.
- Temperature, humidity, wind speed ... everything comes into play in this race, which is the ultimate test of endurance in athletics.