Throws Discus Javelin Shot Put
- The throwers starting position in the ring is with their back facing the direction of the throw.
- The thrower then rotates one and half times, accelerating all the while before delivering the throw.
- When the discus leaves the hand, it can be done either with a foot switch, which means that the thrower swivels around one more time on one leg after the throw.
- Or it can be without a foot switch, which means that the thrower finishes the throw standing still on both feet.
- The speed of a discus at the time of leaving the hands of a thrower can be about 26m/s for men and a little slower for women.
- The weight of a discus is 2kg for men with a diameter of 220mm while for women it weights around 1kg with a diameter of 181mm.
- The ring is made of concrete and has a diameter of 250cm.
- The hammer and shot put ring have a smaller diameter of 214cm.
- The run-up is more or less the same for men and women, 25 to 30 meters.
- At the end of a run-up, the men attain a speed of 7.5 m/s while the women gain a speed of 6.5m/s.
- In terms of technique, the most important movement for a right hand thrower is a quick stop with the left foot and a delayed arm movement so as to get the whole body behind the Javelin.
- Finally a distinct blocking by the left side of the body is important to get as much energy as possible behind the javelin.
- At the time of the throw, 75-80 percent of the speed is generated in about 0.15 seconds.
- The javelin speed increases from about 30km/h to close to 110km/h.
- For women the speed increases from about 28km/h to about 95km/h.
- The weight of a javelin for men is 800gms and its length varies between 260cm to 270cm, while the women's javelin weight is around 60gms and has a length of 220-230cm
- The glide and spin techniques are widely used ones in the shot put.
- While men use the spin and glide technique equally, glide technique is used by nearly every female putter.
- When the shot leaves a putter's hand its speed is approximately 14m/s for both men and women.
- The weight of the shot for men is 7.26kg while women use a 4kg shot.
- The shot put ring has an inner diameter of 213-214cm
- Most men and women take four turns in the ring before unleashing the hammer.
- The weight of a hammer is 7.26kg for men and 4kg for women.
- With the string, its total length can be 117.5-121.5cm for men and 116.0-119.5 for women.
- The thrower generates power in each turn and in the last one, the weight of the hammer cam be equivalent to 300kg.
- This is a weight that a thrower must bear on his or her finger tips, more or less.
- The diameter of the ring is 214cm.