The regional squads provide support and expertise to our emerging young athletes to help them to fulfil their potential.
- The regions are split into Connaught, Munster, Dublin & Leinster & Ulster
- The squad sessions complement the work which is carried out by clubs and personal coaches.
- Our Regional Squads help promising young athletes by providing them with educational and motivational training days, including the opportunity to listen to guest speakers.
- Apart from providing specialist coaching and training opportunities, these squad sessions give young athletes a chance to meet their peers in a social and non-completive environment.
Attendance at the Squads
- The squads are broken into two sections – a Development squad which caters for athletes aged U13 to U15 and the Performance squad comprising of athletes aged U16 to U19.
- The Performance squad is open to invited athletes while the Development section for the younger athletes is open to all.
- Full details of the selection criteria for Performance Squads for each province will be available at end of September each year and posted in the development section of the AAI website and also e-mailed to all clubs.
- Parents and coaches are also strongly encouraged to attend as they may also benefit from observing the training sessions.
- Please note Squad days are open to registered Athletics Ireland club members only
- The Regional Squads are co-ordinated by the Regional Development Officers with the assistance of Regional Coaches.