Level 3 Coaching Course
Athletics Ireland will hold a Level 3 Coaching Course starting in March 2019. This course will be available to Level 2 coaches who have demonstrated an ability to progress athletes into the high performance arena. The course will be undertaken over an 18 month period and will involve a combination of weekend workshops and projects done over time. The course will include the following components…
- Event specific workshops with experienced coaches who have extensive involvement in international competition.
- Workshops in coaching practice including HP planning, coaching skills, communication, skill acquisition, etc.
- Individual mentors in coaching practice.
- Project based assessments including reflective journal, event specific literary review, seasonal plans.
- Presentations on coaching practice
The first weekend is scheduled for March 23rd / 24th 2019 and the course will conclude with the sixth weekend in September 2020.
The learning outcomes for the course will include the following:
- Knowledge of the scientific principles and coaching methods underpinning coaching in the event or event group.
- Clearly defined coaching philosophy underpinning decision making process.
- Strongly developed focus on planning over both a short and longer term period.
- Understanding of the skill acquisition process and implications.
- Knowledge of the approach employed by leading coaches and theorists in the event. This will involve researching some of the authors on the topic.
- Ability to analyse and reflect deeply on previous coaching performance to inform future coaching decisions.
- Awareness and understanding of the international competition environment.
Places will be limited to ensure the participants get maximum benefit from the interaction with tutors, coaches and peers. If applications exceed available places the participants will be selected by an AAI panel. Applications are invited from suitably qualified coaches across the event groups.
The cost of the course is €200.
Applications and enquiries should be sent to Coaching@athleticsireland.ie