Schools Mile Challenge
The Irish Life Health School Mile Challenge provides an opportunity for your school to support an initiative to encourage post primary students to try out recreational participation in sport.
- The purpose of the Irish Life Health School Mile Challenge is to promote running as a fun fitness activity in post primary schools.
What is the Irish Life Health Schools Mile Challenge?
- The Irish Life Health School Mile Challenge is a 1 Mile fun run staged in post-primary schools in conjunction with the Irish Schools Athletics Association and Athletics Ireland. Information for the teacher involved.
- The challenge allows students the opportunity to take the first steps towards fitness with the emphasis on participation whether it be walking, jogging or running.
- There is also a focus on personal improvement as students will be able to gauge their progress from their first challenge to the next.
- There is a fun competitive element also as we will be looking at categories like best schools, counties and provinces…we may even uncover the next sub-4 minute miler, but that is incidental to the main purpose which is to promote running or walking as part of a balanced healthy lifestyle.
How the Programme Works?
- How to organise the Irish Life Health School Mile Challenge in your school. Click here: How to Plan
- The mile challenge is run by the school on a school day or over a number of days and involves setting up a measured mile course, either a single lap or a number of laps. This would ideally be followed up a couple of weeks later with another challenge to gauge progress.
- Course Set-up: The school set up the course and steward the event.
- The pupils should are encouraged by teachers to take part. The pupils may run or walk the course.
- Each pupil would be timed over the mile and rewarded with a coloured coded wrist band. Coloured coded bands will be made available in over 10 mins, 9 mins, 8 mins, 7 mins, 6 mins and 5 min categories.
- A spreadsheet of results will be filled in by the schools and sent to Anthony White with any queries: AnthonyWhite@athleticsireland.ie for record and then wrist bands will be dispatched.
How to get started?
- If you wish to take part please fill in the application form: Click here to download. Application Form
- Please return to:Anthony White, Athletics Ireland, 19 Northwood Court, Santry, Dublin 9
- Download poster to advertise event within your school. Download Poster
- On receipt of the form we will send you on details on how to run the event and provide you with promotional material for the event.
- There is a small charge to take part to cover some of the costs associated with it, (0 - 250 students all receive wristbands with application fee) additional costs apply if numbers are greater.
Share your Irish Life Health Mile Challenge Story
- Send in us a report and pictures and we will include in our Schools News
- Any pictures of the schools event that we receive, will also be posted to our Irish Schools’ Facebook Page.
- So get in touch and enter now in the School Mile Challenge.