FAVORS BREAKS NATIONAL RECORD AS TUTHILL CLAIMS SILVER
It has been a hugely successful weekend for Ireland’s throwers in Portugal at the European Throwing Cup (March 11th & 12th).
Eric Favors smashed his own Irish record with a massive 20.66m NR throw to claim 5th place in the men’s shot put final. The Raheny athlete put in a superb round of throwing which included five attempts over the 19.80-meter mark (three over 20m).
Today’s performance improved Favors own outdoor record of 20.50m set in August 2022, and builds on a brilliant indoor season which also saw him better his own indoor shot put record with a 20.16m back in February.
John Kelly finished 12th in the same event with a best of 18.64m.
World U20 finalist Nicola Tuthill claimed a sublime silver in the women’s hammer throw competition (u23) with a massive 64.44m. Tuthill was just pipped for gold by Ukraine’s Valeriya Ivanenko-Kyrylina who produced a 65.51m best with her final throw of the competition.
It continues Tuthill’s outstanding run of form which saw also her throw a 64.45m last month which augurs well for her preparations for the European U23 Championships later in the year.
There was also some hugely encouraging performances from the other Irish throwers in action in Portugal, including that of Michaela Walsh in the shot put who finished 4th in the B final with a best of 15.03m on Saturday evening.
Anna Gavigan (Discus) and Niamh Fogarty (Discus) came away with season’s best performances, while Conor Cusack continues his preparations for outdoors with a best of 66.10m in the u23 Javelin final
- Eric Favors 20.66m NR - 5th Place Men’s Shot Put Final
- John Kell 18.64m - 12th Place Men’s Shot Put Final
- Nicola Tuthill 64.44m - 2nd Place Women’s U23 Hammer Throw
- Michaela Walsh 15.03m - 4th Place Women’s Shot Put B Final
- Anna Gavigan 46.95m SB - 11th Place Women’s U23 Discus Final
- Conor Cusack 66.10m - 12th Place – Men’s U23 Javelin Final
- Niamh Fogarty 49.65m SB - 11th Place – Women’s Discus B Final
Full Result HERE