International Women’s Week 6th-12th of March 2023
Women in Sport Week will kick off on Monday 6th of March and Athletics Ireland are inviting you to get involved!
The aim of having this week, initiated by Sport Ireland, is to;
- Celebrate every woman and girl who throws, run or jump, coaches, officiates, volunteers, works in, and leads out on Women in Sport.
- Promote and highlight the ongoing work within clubs under the topic of Women in Sport
- Highlight some of the Women in Sport programmes and initiatives which are ongoing within clubs.
What's the International Women's Day 2023 theme?
The campaign theme for International Women's Day 2022 is #EmbraceEquity. The aim of the IWD 2023 #EmbraceEquity campaign theme is to get the world talking about Why equal opportunities aren't enough. People start from different places, so true inclusion and belonging require equitable action.. Action is needed to level the playing field!
Marked annually on March 8th, International Women's Day (IWD) is one of the most important days of the year to:
- Celebrate women's achievements within the club
- Raise awareness of female experiences in athletics
- Challenge change as a collective
- Combat stereotypes
- Launch a new initiative, network or programme
- Influence positive behaviour.
- Highlight Role models, Visibility & Speakers
- Fundraise for WIS activities/ charity
What’s the plan?
Athletics Ireland’s Women in Sport campaign is funded by Sport Ireland and aligns with their policy on Women in Sport which targets four areas – Active Participation, Coaching and Officiating, Visibility & Leadership and Governance.
Our aim is to deliver on a number of topics that are of interest to our members, and we encourage everyone to have their say in the direction of this celebration for Women in Sport!
How can you get involved?
Already Loch Lurgan, West Waterford, Raheny ,St Senan’s ,Donore Harriers, Clonliffe Harriers, and Drogheda & District have begun preparing for their IWD events and programmes. Will your club be celebrating International Women's Day?
Attached are a number of activities that may inspire your club to take and #EmbraceEquity.
The following document highlights a number of club activities that are currently taking place celebrating International Women’s Day.
- This toolkit is free to download for clubs.
- IWD Club Assets for Social Media
As a club you may want to
- Put on a “Come and Try” session to engage potential new members.
- Host a training event for club members e.g., skills based, learning etc.
- Run a club training session followed by a Women and Girls social event after
- Start a programme such as Fit4Life during that week.
- Highlight female coach(es) / committee member(s) on your social channels.
- Highlight a male(s) within the club who is helping to engage more females in the club/supporting females in roles within the club on your social channels.
- Highlight and celebrate what your club does to engage and retain females.
- Check out what your club is doing to celebrate this week and get involved and/or encourage your friends to try your club.
- You may want to share a story about an individual and/or club who’s been instrumental in helping you get involved or stay involved with Sport …whatever the capacity!
- If you are organising a female event during this week that we are unaware of or need promoting let us know!
- Feel free to tag Athletics Ireland on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
If you’d like to share ideas or chat with our Women in Sport Officer about your potential plans or how you could get involved with this week, please email Lilly-Ann O Hora firstname.lastname@example.org