Athletics Ireland Licensing
The Athletics Ireland Road Race Licence is a system whereby the governing body helps to ensure that the essential organisational requirements for a road race are in place to ensure the safety of all concerned and consistency in race organisation standards across the country.
Steps in Applying for a License
- Write to the local Garda Siochana, informing them that a race is being planned and requesting they nominate a liaising Garda member. The name of the relevant contact at your local Garda station will be required when applying for a Licence.
- Contact the Your Local Athletics Club at the earliest opportunity as they have vast local knowledge of licensed races in the area and will guide the organising committee on a choice of date(s) to avoid clashes with other races in the area.
Click Here to apply for your permit.
Athletics Ireland Insurance will provide insurance cover for the race on issue of the Licence. Proof of insurance is needed if applying for a Charitable/Organisational Licence, Commercial or International Licence.
- A mandatory part of the process is a requirement to make a risk assessment.
- The organising committee is responsible for the risk assessment.
- The County Board and Athletics Ireland do not require a copy of the risk assessment; however, a copy should be available on the day of the race for this to be checked by the Race Referee.
It is also recommended that a “Cancellation Procedure” document is prepared and displayed at Race HQ (An example document )