The aim of the assistant coach course is to give some basic skills to the beginner coach to help assist a more senior coach in the delivery of coaching sessions to young athletes. It is an introduction to coaching in three key event areas, Running (Sprints and Endurance), Jumping (Long Jump) and Throwing (Shot Putt).
- The content for this course includes;
- group coaching skills and identifying ways to make coaching sessions fun
- Fun and functional warm ups and cool downs
- Safety in Athletics, including Child Welfare
- Rules of key events
- Communicating with young athletes and giving effective feedback.
- Basic Running skills
- Basic Long Jump Skills
- Basic Shot Putt skills
Duration: This is a course over 1 day (8 hours)
Entry Requirements: The Assistant Coach Course is open to all those 16 years or over.
Assessment/ Qualification: There is no exam.
Cost: €70- Included in the price for this course is an Athletics Ireland Assistant Coach Manual.