Ultra Running relates to races of a longer distance than the standard Marathon and includes races covered on track, road and trail over an official distance.
Some races have a non-official distance with competition based on time rather than a set distance. The governing body is called the International Association of Ultra Runners
- There are two races with Championship status, Energia 24-hr in Belfast and the 50K in Donadea, Co.Kildare
- Plans to hold a 100K Championships in the near future
World & European Championships
- 100Km incorporates the World masters 100Km
50k World Trophy Final
- Held every second year.
- Race entry is by invitation based on winning a selection race within the required standard
- The IAU send out entries based on results and eligible participants have their costs subsidised based on available funds and travel grant
Trail World Championships
- Held every second year and rotated with the 50K World Trophy Final
- Run over non-standard distance