Women’s Student Coaching Academy
Athletics Ireland & Student Sport Ireland are delighted to announce that on Wednesday, August 25th we will be launching the Women’s Student Coaching Academy.
The Women’s Student Coach Academy is a collaborative programme between Sport Ireland, Student Sport Ireland, 25 Third Level Institution Campuses and 10 National Sporting Bodies. The programme provides one year of support to female students who wish to develop to be a top coach in their sport.
The aim of the programme is to provide a support system around the female student coach enabling them to develop and reach their coaching potential. Furthermore, the programme’s aims to increase the number, and visibility, of female coaches in third level institutions and create female role models to inspire other female students to progress into coaching.
Who is the WSCA for?
The WSCA is for female students who have an ambition to progress or excel as a coach in their respective sport. Members of the Academy may have years of coaching experience or may be new to coaching.
If they can demonstrate they have the attributes and passion to be a quality coach - the WSCA is for them. The WSCA will accept one student, per sport, from each participating third level institution. Each institution can apply for places for up to 5 priority sports.
What are the benefits for student coaches as part of the WSCA?
Members of the WSCA will avail of the following benefits:
- mentor coach in their respective sport
- a coaching qualification provided by their respective NGB
- networking days with other WSCA members, facilitated by SSI
- WSCA kit
- further benefits specific to each third level institution.
What are the expectations of the student coaches accepted to the WSCA?
Members of the WSCA would be expected to fulfill the following:
- an agreed number of coaching hours per week (agreed in advance between the mentor coach, third level institution and student)
- complete the level coaching course by the respective NGB
- attend the Sport Ireland Safeguarding Workshop or provide proof of prior attendance.
- obtain garda vetting or Access NI
- maximise the opportunity and support on offer.
WSCA Athletics Third Level Institutions
- Dublin City University
- Dundalk IT
- MTU Cork
- NUI Galway
- University College Dublin
- University of Limerick
- Waterford IT
How do I apply?
Complete the following application form and return to your respective sports department. Deadline for applications is the October 8th.
(list of contacts for each third level institution is on the form)