Irish relay teams set for final flourish
Irish athletes are back in action later this evening at the World Relay Championships in Silesia, Poland. The mixed 4x400m team take their place in this evening’s final on the back of one of the great nights for Irish athletics. Yesterday’s team of Chris O'Donnell, Phil Healy, Sharlene Mawdsley, and Thomas Barr produced a stunning performance to finish 4th fastest overall (3.16.84) and achieve the main objective which was to secure qualification for this year’s Olympic Games.
The team set to take their place in this evening’s final will see one change to the line up with Andrew Mellon coming in to replace Thomas Barr. Squad strength plays an important role in relay running and the Crusaders AC man will come into the team fresh having not competed yesterday while also gaining some valuable international relay experience, as this team now builds towards Tokyo.
The final is scheduled for 6.20pm (Irish time) and is available via the World Athletics Youtube Channel.
4 x 400 Mixed Relay Team:
- Andew Mellon of Crusaders AC. Coach Brendan McConville
- Phil Healy of Bandon AC: Coach Shane McCormack
- Sharlene Mawdsley of Newport AC: Coach Gary Ryan
- Chris O’Donnell of North Sligo AC: Coach Michael Baker
Ireland have also confirmed a women’s relay team will compete in the straight final of the 4x200m at 6.59pm (Irish time). As outlined in the selection policy, the team is made up of athletes from both the mixed 4x400m and the women’s 4x100m who were part of the squads in action yesterday. Sophie Becker makes her championship debut having been a reserve for the mixed 4x400m team yesterday.
4 x 200 Women's Relay Team:
- Aoife Lynch of Donore Harriers AC: Coach Daniel Kilgallon
- Kate Doherty of DSD AC: Coach Daniel Kilgallon
- Sarah Quinn of St Colman's South Mayo AC: Coach Brendan Glynn
- Sophie Becker of Raheny Shamrock AC: Coach Jeremy Lyons
- World Relays Official Programme: https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/608947a48a275533b1842886.pdf
- Timetable: https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/5fbd0e587649531a085446f1.pdf
- Entry lists by event: https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/60873e74f779bb27858fcb9b.pdf
- Coverage available via BBC via red button / World Athletics YouTube
- New Irish U20 5000m record for Laura Mooney : https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/new-irish-u20-5000m-for-laura-mooney