Scott bows out in semi final as McGlynn 11th in Europe
Irish athletes got their European Athletics U23 Championships in a rain-soaked Tallinn today. Sprinter Molly Scott (SLOT) impressed for the Irish on day 1, securing her place in the 100m semi-finals in a personal best time of 11.49. Scott would bow out narrowly in this evening’s semi-finals having put in another blistering performance which saw her lead after 30m to eventually cross the line in 3rd place in another PB of 11.47. Aoife Lynch (Donore Harriers) and Gina Akpe-Moses (Blackrock AC) were also in action in the heats of the 100m but just missed out on making it to the next round.
David McGlynn (Waterford AC) ran a brave race in the Men’s 10,000m final, finishing 11th in a time of 29:53.06. McGlynn was within 3 seconds of making it a top 10 finish.
Niamh Fogarty (Raheny Shamrock AC) was first of the Irish in action on day 1. Fogarty finished with a best throw of 43.31 which wasn’t enough to see her progress to the final.
Heptathlete Kate O’Connor had a busy start to her championships, completing the 100mH, High Jump, Shot Put, and 200m. O’Connor ended the day in 9th position on 3467 points and will be back in action tomorrow with the first of her events scheduled for 10.45am.
Sean Mockler (Moycarkey Coolcroo AC) finished with a best throw of 63.95m in the Men’s Hammer which left him in 18th overall.
Jack Mitchell (SLOT) finished 7th in his heat of the 400mH in a time of in 52.07, while Charlie O’Donovan (Leevale AC) was 10th in 3:49.66 in the 1500m.
Preview of day 2 is available HERE.
Friday July 9th
- 8.35am Ellen McCarthy (City of Lisburn AC) Pole Vault
- 9.35am Stephanie Cotter (West Muskerry AC) 1500m
- 10.00am Kate O’Connor Javelin
- 10.05am Kevin McGrath (Bohermeen AC) 800m
- 10.05am Louis O’Loughlin (Donore Harriers) 800m
- 10.05am Mark Milner (UCD AC) 800m
- 10.45am Kate O’Connoe Hep Long Jump
- 2.05pm Finley Daly (Sligo AC) 3,000m SC
- 2.30pm David Kenny (Farranmore Maine Valley AC) 20k Walk Final
- 5.05pm Hep Final (800m)
- 5.40pm Aoife O’Cuill (St, Cocas’s AC) & Orla O'Connor (Waterford AC) 10,000m Final