Top Ten Finishes For Irish Athletes in Torun
Andrew Coscoran (Star of the Sea AC) and Paul Robinson (St Cocas AC) have both finished in the top 10 in the final of the European Indoor Championships in Torun.
The Irish 1500m athletes took to the track at 8.33pm this evening in what was a stacked field that included Norwegian star Jakob Ingebritsen who subsequently went on to claim gold.
Both Coscoran and Robinson sat near the rear of the field from the gun as Ingebritsen set an early pace which stretched much of the field over the first 1000 meters.
Coscoran was first of the Irish athletes to make his move and negotiated his way through the field to come home with a strong late rally to finish in seventh place in a time of 3.40.38. The fast-finishing Robinson followed closely behind to come home in 10th in a time of 3.40.74.
Both Irish athletes will be happy with the progress they’ve made over the last number of months and attention will now turn to the upcoming outdoor season and the pursuit of Tokyo qualification.
The 1500m medals went the way of the 20-year-old Ingebritsen who beat defending champion Marcin Lewandowski into silver, with bronze going to Spain's Jesus Gomez.
Day 3 Schedule (Saturday March 6th):
- Men’s 60m Heats: Leon Reid (9.46am), Israel Olatunde(10.07am), and Dean Adams(10.14am)
- Men’s 3000m Heats: John Travers (10.25am), SeanTobin (10.38am), and Brian Fay (10.51am)
- Women’s 60m Hurdles Heats: Sarah Lavin (11.42am)
- Women’s 800m Semi Final: Nadia Power (6.16pm)
- Men’s 800m Semi Final: Cian McPhillips (6.33pm) and Mark English (6.41pm)
- Women’s 400m Final: Phil Healy (7.25pm)